Mission 2 - Culture Post 1/3

Mission 2- Culture

Process
Blog post 1/3- Digital Privacy
21-25/10/19

For this mission, again, we got into groups of three, my group consisted of myself, Aaron and Sean. We chose to do our project on "Digital Privacy" because we found this topic very interesting and there's so many different topics we could've done it on.

After choosing to do it on Digital privacy we met up in the canteen for about an hour or so to discuss what Digital Privacy was, how many slides we were gonna do, who's gonna do what etc, we made a WhatsApp group chat where we all kept contributing information and ideas too.

We had a few original plans like we were going to base our project on how Siri and Alexa are always listening to us, but then we got stuck on where to start with that so we decided to just start of the presentation with information about Digital Privacy, what apps do with our information, how they get it, the consequences etc, which was very interesting and knowledgeable to us too, I definitely learned things I didn't know before, after this mission and have been more aware when giving my information to apps. 

When starting this mission we were confused about what end product we could have, Shaun told us we could do a follow up on a hashtag but I couldn't find a way to relate that to our mission so I thought of doing an experiment, where we googled a certain item in our case Cameras (like safari) and then go on a different app (like youtube) and see if we got an ads for that item, surely enough we did, this is something that's happened to me a few times before that I've noticed but when doing this mission and finding that to prove the hypothesis it felt kind of overwhelming, as I was left to question what else does my phone know about me?

Image result for safari logo]
I thought of this experiment last minute (one day before the due date) and I'm so glad I did otherwise we would've used the hashtag for our finished product which didn't really relate to our research. The experiment was basically proving that safari in our case, uses our searches for ad related purposes and we proved that right. I was really happy with this experiment as I knew it made sense to have it as our finished product and related to our mission.

For the experiment, I just screenshot the safari search on the normal mode (cameras) and went on youtube and saw if an ad for that came up and it did, I also tried doing this using the "Private Mode" version on safari and searched up the same item (cameras) and checked youtube afterwards, to my surprise, I did not get an ad that time but to make this experiment fair I carried this out 5 times to get an unbiased result and each time I did this, I did not receive an ad ( I cleared my search history after all the searches to get the most accurate result). I found this experiment fascinating.







We presented this mission on 14/11/19

Thank you for reading my blog post!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mission 2 - Culture Post 2/3

Mission 3 - Methodology Post 1/3